CRACKED BRICK OR BLOCK MORTAR
Bricks are stronger than most other building materials and can last a lifetime — if properly maintained. However, they’re not invincible. Under the wrong conditions, your property’s brick-and-mortar walls, chimneys, steps and other elements could begin to fall apart. The most obvious sign that this may be happening is the appearance of cracks in mortar joints. When you notice this, it might be only a matter of time before serious failures start to occur.
When you need expert brick crack repair due to failing foundations, look no further than TX Foundation Repair. Our professionals can provide the foundation repair you need that sometimes involves tuckpointing and mortar repair.
What Causes these Cracks?
There are many reasons why you might see a crack start to form in your masonry walls. Here are a few of the most common:
- Foundation issues: When your building’s foundation starts to fail, you may notice a stair-step pattern of cracking emerge. As the ground underneath begins to shift, the bricks start to pull away from one another.
- Water damage: Any gaps can allow water into the joints, where it has an opportunity to expand and contract based on the temperature outside. This process causes excessive pressure that forces bricks to separate. You may see horizontal cracks in your walls, as a result.
- Wind: Believe it or not, windy days can take their toll on your structure over time. The force caused by wind can push against it just enough to get the ball rolling to eventual failure.
- Shifting or soft soils: Even if your foundation remains intact, the ground on which it sits could settle or shift over the years.
- Poor construction: If contractors don’t allow for expansion when building adjoining walls, they may be setting the building up for failure.